Back to Top

Rumor vs Fact

A new study finds that by every measure, false rumors are more likely to spread than true ones. This fact highlights the need for a better—and especially faster—approach to correcting misinformation. Mundelein wants to set the record straight. Instead of sharing rumors, misinformation, and unverified claims, this page is dedicated to presenting the actual facts. Also, if you have a rumor you’d like to report or a question to ask the Village of Mundelein please send an email to info@mundelein.org with "Rumor Vs. Fact" in the subject line.


August 24, 2018

RUMOR:
Mundelein has made a decision to build a third fire station on St. Mary of the Lakes Seminary property.

FACT:

At the July 23, 2018 Village Board Meeting, the Mundelein Trustees authorized the signing of a “Letter of Intent” (LOI) for a Long-Term Ground Lease with St. Mary of the Lakes Seminary for a POSSIBLE site location for a third Mundelein fire station on the east side of the train tracks on the seminary property. This LOI enables Mundelein officials to essentially reserve the seminary property for 30 months during which time Mundelein’s Board of Trustees and Village staff will conduct due diligence to determine: 1-if a third fire station is warranted, 2-if the St. Mary of the Lakes seminary property is the best location, and 3-conduct an analysis on Mundelein’s specific public safety needs now and in the future. Pending the findings during this due diligence phase, Mundelein officials will then decide if it is in the community’s best interest to enter into a long-term ground lease with St. Mary of the Lakes Seminary to build a third fire station.

August 16, 2018

RUMOR:
The purpose of the recent Diamond Lake area property purchases was to make way for further commercial and residential development and/or to realign the intersection of Diamond Lake Road and Allanson Road.

FACT:

The purpose of the recent Diamond Lake area purchases is to establish a new community park. The new park will provide Mundelein residents and visitors, traveling on one of our major gateways into the community, with attractive views of the lake. The Village did not purchase the land to make way for commercial or residential development. In 2011, the Village conducted a realignment study for the intersection of Diamond Lake Road and Allanson Road as part of our Comprehensive Plan. It was determined through a cost/benefit analysis that realigning the intersection would not be an effective use of public funds. The Village did not purchase the land to realign the intersection.

August 14, 2018

RUMOR:
The Village's Electric Aggregation Program with Constellation does NOT include transmission charges within the 7.499 cents per kWh rate.

FACT:

Beginning in October 2018, the Village will continue its Electric Aggregation Program with Constellation instead of Dynegy. The Village received several bids from electrical energy companies and Constellation was the lowest bidder at 7.499 cents per kWh. For reference, the ComEd rate beginning in October 2018 through May 2019 will be 7.941 cents per kWh and changes in the spring and fall each year. The agreement with Constellation goes into effect in October 2018, and the 7.499 cents per kWh rate is locked in until October 2020. The 7.499 cents per kWh rate includes supply, capacity, and transmission. Residents may also "opt out" of the program at any time during the two year agreement, with no fees, and at no cost to them.

August 10, 2018

RUMOR:
The pedestrian bridge project is being funded entirely by the Mundelein taxpayer.

FACT:

The current estimated total cost for the pedestrian bridge project is $4.2 million, which includes all construction and engineering costs. However, the Village's portion is only 20 percent of that amount because federal and state grants will cover the other 80 percent of the project's costs. A grant from the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC) will contribute $2 million to the project, and the Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA) Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) grant will contribute another $1.36 million to the project, for a total of $3.36 million in grants. The Village of Mundelein's portion of the total project costs is $840,000.