Back to Top


Understanding Your Village of Mundelein Annual Tax Bill

Did you know that the Village of Mundelein Mayor, Steve Lentz, Board of Trustees, Village Administrator and staff, work diligently to keep property taxes as low as possible for residents?

Property Taxes

Under 14% of one’s property tax bill goes to the Village. The other 86% of one’s property tax bill goes to other governmental agencies, including schools, park, library, County, townships, and water agency. The Village has levied the same amount for property taxes in the past 4 years, $11.85 million. The Village’s property taxes pay for many services - police/fire protection, street improvements, storm water management, snow plowing, and other such services.

The Village of Mundelein is divided into 3 Townships: Fremont, Libertyville and Vernon. This structure helps to ease resident tax burden in all three areas.

Sales Taxes

The sales tax percentage in the Village is 8% on most items (excluding qualifying groceries & medical). The 8% is broken down as follows: State 5%, Village 2%, RTA 0.75%, and County 0.25%. The City receives approximately $8.6 million annually from sales taxes. The more dollars collected from sales taxes corresponds to less money needed to be raised from property taxes.