Back to Top

Business Licensing Regulations

Business Licensing Overview

Requirements and Applications

The Village requires many types of businesses located within Mundelein to obtain a business license. Not all businesses within Mundelein are required to obtain a license, however. The following types of businesses do have an obligation to apply for a business license:

  • Amusement and Entertainment
  • Auctioneers
  • Automatic Vending Machines
  • Automobile/Trailer Rentals
  • Bakeries
  • Banks
  • Car Washes
  • Tobacco Vending Establishments
  • Contractors (Carpentry, HVAC, Roofing, and others.)
  • Dry Cleaners
  • Fire Extinguisher Services
  • Flammable Bulk Storage
  • Florists
  • Food Refrigeration Plans
  • Furnace Cleaning and Repair
  • Grocery Stores and Markets
  • Hotels and Motels
  • Junk, Rags, and Wrecked Motor Vehicles
  • Laundries
  • Lumberyards
  • Outdoor Advertising
  • Paints and Oils
  • Pawnbrokers
  • Itinerant Vendors
  • Public Parking Lots and Garages
  • Repair Shops
  • Restaurants
  • Roominghouses
  • Scavengers and Garbage Disposal
  • Secondhand Articles
  • Service Stations
  • Storage Yards
  • Used Car Dealers
  • Warehouses
  • Watchman or Patrol Services
  • Outdoor Spraying Applicators
  • Routemen

Additional businesses that require a business license to operate in Mundelein:

  • Adult-Oriented Businesses
  • Dealers in Secondhand Goods
  • Liquor Stores
  • Massage Therapy Establishments
  • Taxicabs
  • Video Game Establishments

This list provided is to assist you with the business licensing process, however, it is not necessarily comprehensive. Please refer to the Village’s ordinances regarding business licensing, which are featured below, for a complete list of which businesses are required to be licensed .

If your business is required to obtain a business license, please click the link below and fill out the form provided. Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Village’s Building Department at (847)949-3283.

Business License Application

While your business may not be required to obtain a business license, it will need a certificate of occupancy. Applications for a certificate of occupancy can be found here:

Certificate of Occupancy Application

Business Licensing Regulations

Full Municipal Code